Saturday, November 20, 2010

CHRONICLES OF POPPING TAGS",US DEBUT OF LANVIN FOR HM



"I'm Up" ...
Awoke at 2a on Saturday, November 20th 2010 feeling rather accomplished. I only hit the snooze button once! I was on a mission to "pop tags!" Before turning in the night before, I determined what my "stakeout" ensemble would be. The two major concerns were comfort and warmth. I followed the advice of this week's featured guest, June Ambrose and layered the hell up!!! I made a mad dash to the bathroom to brush, wash ...you know, all the essentials and proceeded to text my "roll dog", ElevarBeauty, to make sure she was up. She was my ride and I couldn't let her blow this for me, she had to get her ass up! She called me back to inform me that she hadn't even gone to sleep! I knew from that moment, this was gonna be FUN. I applied one layer after the other like a skilled ..."layer-er". Well, what do you call one skilled in layering? Although 3am at this point and as much as I wasn't in the mood, I was feeling just a tad vain so I beat my face with a lil powder and applied a lil blush and some gloss ...of course. If I don't do nothing else, I apply the gloss. My NARS Sweet Charity Lip Lacquer, is a must-have and has been for a minute. But back to the chronicles ...

"On My Way Baby!" ...
I proceeded to check-in with my DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) "stakeout" team to see where dey at! ElevarBeauty and I discussed possibly starting our "stakeout" earlier the nite before so I was really curious as to what the scene was looking like. My girl, ShanaJanelle tweeted that she was snug as a bug in a rug and that her and SilverLips were on the scene. She tweeted that I had no cause to worry cause wasn't much of a line at that point. ElevarBeauty was here ...I quickly grabbed the rest of my essentials and we made our way. My girl, SapphireBlu informed me that she was following our lead and would meet us on the "walk" (short and cute for sidewalk). As we made our way, ElevarBeauty and I came to the conclusion that we are either "crazy fashionistas" or "determined shopaholics" ...you make the call.

"In Waiting" ...

Upon arrival, we found a space right in front of the store, parked ...ElevarBeauty and I made time to high-five one another, and we made our mark on the curb. We smiled and greeted everyone nicely (refer to yesterday's mybagladies). We came prepared so we took a seat in our fold-out chairs, snuggled up ...I in a blanket and my daughters sleeping bag and ElevarBeauty in her cap or turban rather (shout out to JA), husband's sweats, under a blanket and with a pillow even ...why didn't she tell me, I would've brought a pillow too!! By this time, it was about 3:30a and I turned back to see SapphireBlu fastly approaching. We all hunkered down to play the waiting game. I did my thang and talked to others in waiting and learned that the folks at the front of the line had arrived 8p the night before! I was speechless. I snapped some pics and captured some footage ...ElevarBeauty snuck off to her car and caught a quick snooze, grabbed us some Starbucks, we laughed and joked amongst other shoppers regarding this being our first ever "stakeout" and before we knew it, the sun was coming up. We realized 8a was soon to come so we proceeded to put what we didn't need ...to shop, back in the car so we could effectively carry on with the mission, hands free! One of the guys nearby, also in waiting, helped us with our chairs and other belongings. I guess he didn't have anything better to do than wait right so why not? We saw the doors opening around 7:45a and you literally heard the entire crowd gasp which btw, by this time, was wrapped around the building (ElevarBeauty said a few rolled their eyes as she walked along the sidewalk with Starbucks in hand, to the front of the line practically where we held our spot). So we considered that perhaps Management was opening the doors a tad earlier than expected or perhaps they were distributing the color coded bracelets per the Lanvin for H&M shopping rules. But alas, they were passing out coffee and free croissants. We already had Starbucks in hand so we passed on the coffee but we did partake of those delicious croissants ...how could we not? At this time we were hungry, all giddy and giggly because of sleep deprivation so we barely knew which end was up but whatever, it's all about scoring some quality apparel, right? Little did we know, this was ...

"The Calm Before The Storm" ...
Immediately prior to opening the doors, the management team flocked us again but this time with the most adorable Lanvin for H&M tote bags with a Lanvin black scarf and for those that might require a reminder, instructions on how the shopping experience would be managed. We were on pins and needles by this point and SapphireBlu offered a great idea, to cut the lil flower off the bag and use as a brooch ...or something. I was too sleepy to pay her much attention. The bands were distributed also. As far as I could tell, we were like 36 in line so we knew upon arrival, we wouldn't likely be in the first wave but definitely the second and our wristband confirmed it.

"The Shopping Experience" ...
We walked along the worn out pink carpet rolled out at storefront, the doors opened and the madness ensued!!! Total lack of management afforded more folks than should have been allowed, access to the store so although we thought the Lanvin for H&M shopping instructions would be followed, they absolutely were not. Upon entering, folks pulled every stunt imaginable to make it to the TINY (and I mean tiny), enclosed area where the limited (and I mean limited), collection was displayed. Unfortunately, management made no effort to contain the crowd so they rushed the area where the collection was displayed. Although just in the second wave and although feeling like we had no worries, it took almost 40 minutes for Management to regain control of the crowd and allow us access to the collection. By this time, it was entirely picked over. We stood and watched as Management totally disregarded the rules and allowed shoppers to pick extreme quantities of each style. It was a madhouse!! Folks were pissed, folks were angry, folks wanted their Lanvin ...I, myself included. I watched with sadness as all of my "must-have's" not slowly but in the blink of an eye, disappeared. Anyone that knows me, knows I don't bite my tongue so I absolutely addressed the managerial staff ...all of em! But by this time, the damage was done. Upon gaining access to the collection which was far from complete, I selected a few items but not with nearly the level of enthusiasm I had hoped and certainly not that which I had upon entering the store ...even after waiting 4 1/2 hours. All I heard were screams of, "grab me this size!", "grab me that size!". The collection is indeed gorgeous and the quality is undeniable. The lookbook does not lie. But I didn't go in with the mindset of trying to score some pieces just for the sake of being able to say, "I got Lanvin!" But clearly the only option was to reset my list and pick what I wanted from what few items remained, which wasn't much. And mind you, we were only the second round! I began to feel bad for those behind us. The staff was clearly not very much in the know regarding the collection and were unable to answer questions regarding anything pertaining to the collection ...sizes or styles. Seemingly more attention was paid to a waiting list for the sunglasses. Upon exiting the collection shopping area, we made our way to the fitting room. We saw the first wave exit the shopping area with armfuls of pieces and boxes of shoes so I had hopes that perhaps a few lone shoppers would be back there having tried on a size in a style that I really wanted and perhaps might be willing to swap or something but one thing Management did do, they did an effective job of not allowing that for reasons that are still so beyond me. So my girls and I proceeded to try on that which we could grab and make decisions on that which we actually wanted to keep. We scoped out those shoppers who remained, to see if we could swap styles or sizes on anything and made our way to the register and although feeling "ok" about our selections, there was definitely a bit of a sour taste in our mouths. The experience that was shopping the debut of Lanvin For H&M, didn't quite go as planned but we still left the store with bags in hand. We came prepared for a fight and that we surely did. If one listened closely, they could hear the soft cheers as the crowd opened up as we made our way to the fitting room after having or after my having told "Management" about themselves. Uh-huh ...it really wasn't a case of "shopper greed" although "Mangement" tried to claim otherwise and made no effort to resolve their mistakes.

"The Experience That Was" ...
All in all, it was an experience and in all my shopping years, unlike any ever experienced before. And if it wasn't for the adorable packaging of everything from the pumps to the dress to the lipsticks, even, I might be carrying a slightly different attitude. Oh, what did I buy you ask? I purchased the plum off the shoulder dress. I purchased the four lipsticks in hot pink, red, burgundy and rose ...they really need to get more creative with the names. And lastly, the black pumps ...didn't intend to but the but the metallic heel sold me and wasn't nothing else left!! I wear the bracelet some 5 hours later as a symbol of what we endured today, the US debut of Lanvin for H&M.
P.S. - Check out a new post by SilverLips (DMV "stakeout" team), Lanvin for H&M Experience & Haul
-- Lady Erin

Bag Ladies Reality Radio ...REAL Women, REAL Talk!
Tune in LIVE, Wednesday at 7:30p EST.

4 comments:

  1. Haha! Loved this! Soooo mad I overslept this morning :(

    I want those lipsticks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx lady! LOL! It is so true ...I did not exaggerate in the least. And I had no intentions of purchasing any lipstick but as I wandered around the collection area, looking for what was left, I noticed the lipsticks ...the packaging was cute so I said WTH. I actually can't wait to play in the colors b/c if they wear as good as they look, they will be fab. The hot pink just might be the one for me ;-). I like the Burgundy too ...it reminds me of a MAC color I used to wear a few years ago. And my girl SilverLips snapped a pic per her post, of the red. Looked fab on her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds really hectic. I shopped one of the L.A. stores, and it was super organized, at least for the Women's merchandise. I was in the 4th shopper group, and by the time I entered the special area at 9:05, the sunglasses and legs tunic in my size were already sold out. There was a ton of trading with other shoppers and with employees in other parts of the store. (Very different from your store.) There were also people cutting in line and having their friends arrive hours before them, saving them places, etc. Here is the link to my experience: http://fashiontrendguide.blogspot.com/2010/11/love-for-lanvin.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment and the link to your post. Per your reply, it sounded and was indeed, hectic. I'm glad your experience was much more organized. I think if trading hadn't been restricted by management at my store, folks (including myself), would've been alot less frustrated.

    -- Lady Erin

    ReplyDelete