Thursday, May 21, 2015

#TBT: WOULD YOU LET YOUR KIDS TRADE GARBAGE PAIL KIDS TODAY?

Remember these? C'mon, tell the truth, how many do you still have???

"Garbage Pail Kids is a series of trading cards consisting of 15 series produced by the Topps Company, originally released in 1985 and designed to parody the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls created by Xavier Roberts." 

I was so in love with Garbage Pail Kids. As much as I loved my beloved Cabbage Patch dolls, I think I loved Garbage Pail Kids that much more. I remember sneaking in school to trade cards with friends the ultimate goal being to have a complete series. We would trade on the bus, crouched in the corner, on the playground, everywhere. If not mistaken I think my school had to issue a "stop" to discourage kids from trading during class LOL!!! My brother and I surely had a fight or maybe two because he tried to steal a few of my cards. I had to keep them under lock and key and of course in order by series with an infamous rubber band. But NEVER did we tire of laughing endlessly at the yucky pictures and the icky names to match. As I was searching for some of my faves, I found myself cracking up just as much now as I did as a child. Remember any of these?




LOL!!!! Remember those who had complete series were such the "cool kids." I remember classmates practically walked around with crowns on their head for having a complete series. My Mom probably recalls being bugged like crazy by my Brother and I to run us back and forth to the local corner store so we could "up" our card game. Although I kept mine long after the novelty wore off, who knows where mine reside now. Somebody probably found 'em, cashed 'em in and is now a millionaire LOL!!! I think from 1985 to 1988 which was the length of time Garbage Pail Kids were produced, likely accounts for my failing grades. I mean these were the ultimate distraction. And did you know, you can still get them? I found fans going hard on eBay and HERE

Would you let your kids trade these today???
--
Follow me on IG/Twitter and Vine @bagladies.
--
 

OnDemand/iTunes are 24/7. Check out my fave show picks and access recent shows and the full archive at bagladiesradio.com/listen. Follow on Twitter and Instagram.




No comments:

Post a Comment